"Community as Archives, Archives as Community"
ACA's 38th Annual Conference - June 13-15, 2013 - Delta Winnipeg Hotel, Winnipeg, MB
Communities are the framework of our identities, our history and our lives. Online and offline, connected by geography, ethnicity, language, sexuality, interests, professions, friendship and kin, our lives are a lattice of communities.
Join us in Winnipeg, city of communities and meeting places, for an exploration of how archival consciousness arises in communities and how community consciousness has arisen among archivists. In addition to three exciting plenary sessions featuring international experts, the program is organized into three session streams:
- Aboriginal Communities and Archives: Explore Aboriginal perspectives on archives and stories; consider the role of archives in social justice, truth and reconciliation; discuss how archives can contribute to social memory in Aboriginal communities;
- Archives of Communities: Archives are built around communities tangible and virtual, providing the foundation of community identity and creating a place for participatory archiving. Speakers will illustrate the power of archives to unite communities such as ethnic groups, the queer community, individuals brought together by memory and grief, geography and more;
- The Community of Archivists: Discuss issues around professional identity; the changing role of the archivist; get updates on the building of standards, collaboration and new approaches to acquisition, appraisal, description; and continue the discourse on the utility and challenge of the digital and the virtual.
This year’s conference not only promises a thoroughly stimulating and engaging program, but also offers opportunities to join colleagues in experiencing Winnipeg’s irrepressible community spirit. Social events will highlight a few of the unique eccentricities, charms, and attractions of Winnipeg and surrounding area. Or you can explore what the city has to offer on your own! ACA 2013 will allow you to be connected to the conference and your colleagues like never before through Facebook, Twitter, and the ACA website. And the ACA 2013 app will ensure that you have all the conference information you require no matter where you and your mobile device may be.
The ACA 2013 conference hotel is the Delta Winnipeg. Among its many features are a central location in downtown Winnipeg within walking distance of many of the city’s attractions, a rooftop pool, excellent dining, a fantastic lounge, and strong Wi-Fi throughout the guest rooms and conference facilities.
Registration is now open.
- click this link for the Speaker Commitment (webform)
- click this link for the Chair / Commentator / Moderator Commitment (webform)
Please feel free to direct questions to:
Chair, ACA 2013 Conference Program
c/o Library and Archives Canada
550 blvd de la Cité
Gatineau, QC K1A 0N4