The Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives (CLGA) is hiring an Archives Assistant (YCW) for a 12-week term, beginning May 24, 2017. The position will expose the student to a variety of archival situations designed to improve skills and allow the Archives to improve public access to its rich holdings of LGBTQ2+ heritage. The successful applicant will work with the Executive Director to convert existing finding aids to standardized EAD-encoded format and make these available publicly through ARCHEION, Ontario’s Archival Information Network. In addition, the Archives Assistant will arrange & describe records, assist with reference services, and complete accurate data entry, as required.
• Meet requirements of the Young Canada Works program
• Have completed at least 1 year of a graduate degree in archival studies, in which coursework has focused on archival arrangement and description and/or metadata.
• Be able to demonstrate ability to apply EAD encoding through completed catalogue records and/or published finding aids.
• Have excellent written & oral communication skills.
• Have an ability to work effectively independently & as part of a team.
• Possess the physical ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 30 pounds (up & down a set of stairs).
• Knowledge and understanding of LGBTQ2+ history, communities and their issues/interests
• A strong commitment to the mission of the Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives.
$20/hr; 35 hrs/wk.
The CLGA is committed to supporting and encouraging a diverse environment and seeks candidates from underrepresented communities who can make positive and imaginative contributions. Women, trans, gender non-conforming, Black, Indigenous, and people of colour people are encouraged to apply.